forgot password?

Madam Cheramy (nee Hawkins) / Portrait at RAF Odiham
Posted: 05 May 2015 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2005-04-11
On 5 May 1945, Mauthausen Concentration Camp was liberated by the US Army. - read more on the Holocaust Memorial Trust website

I've been following the story of Madam Cheramy since an enquiry was made via the Aldbourne Website/Forum in 2009. Thanks to Trish Rushen and Monica and Neil Moreton for tracking down the article from the Parish News in October 1973 in order to start the search.

You can read all about Madam Cheramy in the article by Alan Heasman in the April 2015 Dabchick.

On 27th April this year my daughter and I were invited to view the portrait of Madam "Pat" Cheramy (nee Eleanor Maud Hawkins, born in Castle Street, Aldbourne 1906) unveiled in March 1976.

Many thanks to Mrs Mel Coates (Engagement/MCO Support)and Sgnt Angela Grimshaw (Officers Mess Manager) at RAF Odiham for their assistance, and invitation. It was a privilege to view the portrait of this brave Dabchick and to visit RAF Odiham.

I've added photos of various Parish News items, and of our day in Odiham, to the Aldbourne Village Gallery (Flickr)