What We Do
Welcome to the Parish Council’s pages on the Aldbourne Net. This page describes what Parish Councils do – their roles and responsibilities.
Parish Councils are the tier of local government closest to the individual communities they serve. Some of the duties & functions of the Parish Council are:
- Provide services
- Create policies
- Raise and spend money on behalf of the community
- Budget & manage its finances in accordance with the Accounts & Audit regulations
- Ensure adequate insurance cover
- Manage Parish land, buildings & property
- Keeping parishioners informed
- Work in partnership with other bodies
The Council is headed by the Chairman who is appointed every year at the Annual Parish meeting. Some of their duties and responsibilities are:
- Be the public face of the council
- Welcome visitors and represent the council at official meetings or functions
- Summarise debate and facilitate the resolving of clear decisions
- Have a casting vote
- Sign the Minutes of meetings
- Sign documents on behalf of the council, providing the council is in agreement
- Ensure that effective and lawful decisions are taken at meetings of the council
- Involve all councillors in discussions whilst ensuring the councillors keep to the point
- Keep discussions moving so that the meeting is not too long
The Councillors contribute to the work of the whole council but no one individual (including the Chairman) can make a decision on behalf of the council. Some of the duties and responsibilities of councillors are:
- Attend meetings
- Suggest ideas and engage in constructive debate
- Work to bring about improvement through local projects and lobbying other service providers
- Influence and shape the long term development policy for the parish, and as part of the planning process, comment on planning applications in the parish.
- Act fairly within the law
- Vote to enable the council to make decisions
- Be proactive
The primary source of income for parish councils comes from the Parish precept, which is a local tax collected, in our case, by Wiltshire Council on behalf of the Parish.
This money is required to run the council and pay to maintain and improve the facilities, activities and services that the Parish Council provides.
Please note that the primary point of contact for Parish Council business is the Parish Clerk, Mrs Karen Clay. Her full contact details are shown below. Please do not hesitate to contact her if you have any queries.
Mrs Karen Clay (Parish Clerk)
3 Skinner’s Close, Hannington, Swindon, SN6 7RR
Telephone: 01793 861404