forgot password?

1 of 2
IT Award
Posted: 10 December 2003 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Total Posts:  1859
Joined  2009-06-23
Congratulations to those Parish Councillors and others who prepared the material which gained Aldbourne's IT award on Tuesday. But congratulations too, to those whose work in IT made this award possible, to those who set up this website three/four? years ago, to the webmaster whose technical knowhow keeps it running, to the school for their contribution to the IT knowledge given to the children, for the fact we have a public internet access terminal in the library (which sometimes works!)and all those others in the village who work for the benefit of the community in IT, to my Mom, my Dad, sob sob............Well done Aldbourne!

Posted: 10 December 2003 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2003-09-06
well done indeed!
what a great honour
wonder how many villages took part in this contest?
do you know, Trish?
must get along to the Memorial Hall to check out the award

Posted: 10 December 2003 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2003-10-22
Dear M Brown.
I can't figure out why you are asking Trish, she may know much but she won't know that for even I as the Parish Councillor given the job of dealing with this matter on behalf of the village don?t know. What I can tell you is that I was told (unofficially) that the judges thought that there were only two outstanding parishes in the whole of the country concerning IT and we were one of those two. If this had been an national award we would have been at least second that?s for sure!

We, the Aldbourne Parish Council, were invited to enter the Calor national awards competition by Wilts CPRE. Certainly ALL the website contributors that have made the site as good as it is should take a bow for all their hard work. I will be putting the framed certificate in the hall on Thursday or Friday.
Jane Palmer

Posted: 11 December 2003 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2003-09-06
"I can't figure out why you are asking Trish, she may know much but she won't know that . . . " says JaneP
but most other readers of Trish's post will
let me explain, Trish is the most active person on the Aldbourne village website committee and is au fait with the various local IT systems
it is, therefore, perfectly valid to ask her for an answer
of course, had I known that you are the oracle on this subject, I would have refrained from posting my "well done . . ." reply
next time I'll ask "we, the Aldbourne Parish Council"

Posted: 11 December 2003 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Joined  2009-06-23
No you're quite right Jane - I knew nothing about this award. I AM on the website committee (so might have been expected to know more), but not one of its most active members. Seems the IT skills are greater than our communication skills. Just out of interest, was anyone from the original Website Committee invited to attend the lunch in London? Would have been appropriate, I should have thought?

Posted: 11 December 2003 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Total Posts:  755
Joined  2001-07-25
I would have thought John May should have been invited.
 Signature 

Aldbourne Website Group

Posted: 11 December 2003 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2003-11-07
Hear hear![:(!]

Posted: 11 December 2003 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2002-01-30
Well done to those who submitted the material that gained the award, but I can't help but wonder why no representatives from the Web site group (past or present) were invited to any of the ceremonies.

Over the last three/four year a tremendous amount of work by many volunteers has made the website what it is.

I think it unfair, maybe (dare I say it) even immoral, that they weren't included in the public representation of the village.

Posted: 11 December 2003 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Total Posts:  168
Joined  2003-11-07
That's what I think too - any comment from the PC?[}:)]

Posted: 11 December 2003 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Total Posts:  755
Joined  2001-07-25
Lets not bicker ... that's so 'Archers'. Its great we got the award and that we were represented in London. It was the council, Jane Palmer & Keith Evill, that went to the effort of writing the proposal. I was approached to help out but simply couldn't afford the time. As said, if anyone should have gone it is John, without his inspiration neither the site nor the teaching facility would be here.
 Signature 

Aldbourne Website Group

Posted: 12 December 2003 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2003-12-12
Hear, hear M Brown. I notice that Jane's news post doesn't even congratulate any of the past/present website committee members, after all surely without these people this award would not have been won!

WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!

Perhaps, now that Jane and Annette have enjoyed their lunch, they will get more involved with the committee themselves. I notice that new recruits are needed...

[:D][}:)][}:)][:D]

Posted: 12 December 2003 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2002-06-30
How sad to read some of the sniping, point-scoring and unkind comments over this IT award. Does it really matter who was asked to go and receive this award on behalf of the village? Someone would have always criticised whoever was asked. It is so easy to criticise, especially behind an anonymous username. Just be glad that Aldbourne has been honoured for all the hard work put in by so many people over the last few years.

It is unfair to assume that people are doing nothing but receiving a free lunch when behind the scenes they are working extremely hard on behalf of other people.

Posted: 12 December 2003 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Joined  2009-06-23
I don't think all of the above is sniping or point scoring, but merely puzzlement that it didn't occur to the Parish Council that along with Jane (who prepared the competition entry)a member of the original website committe SHOULD be asked to share in the thrill of getting this award (and meeting Alan Titchmarsh!). I understand that it wasn't just the website that won the award, but all the work being done in the village in IT, much of which WAS instigated by the first website committee. Maybe a public forum is not the place to debate this; I shall be writing to the Parish Council asking them to explain their decision, which may have a perfectly rational explanation. But I do feel disappointed that we knew nothing of all this until after the event, when this website provides such ample opportunity to communicate the good as well as the bad.
As a footnote, I have to say the Parish Council minutes provide no enlightenment on the matter, merely that two tickets had been sent and it was decided that Jane and one other would go with all expenses paid by the Parish Council. ??

Posted: 12 December 2003 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2003-12-12
As chairman of the web site committee I sit and read & most times
enjoy seeing people happily using the facilities we are offering
This is what the web site was designed for a few years ago & in that time it has had critics as it will have now, but through listening to what has been said about it,& a great deal of dedication by the committee, we have arrived at a situation where we can be proud of what we have acheived.This has been a community effort ,warts & all, so well done to all ,& as an ex. memmber of the Parish council , can I also thank them for all of their hours of effort mainly unheralded that makes this village so special
Ges Dolman

Posted: 12 December 2003 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2003-10-23
To everyone and to save Tris writing to the PC, this was a competition for parish councils, not websites. Reasonably, only parish councillors were invited to attend.

These competitions are judged by lay-people who expect a lay-person's description of the community subject, hence the PCs being asked to prepare their own submissions. The website chairman was made away of the submission and provided useful information.

The Press approaches that followed the announcement were immediately referred to the website chairman in order to ensure that it received the publicity it so richly deserves. This has enabled the website to give more detailed information regarding its history and those founders members who certainly deserve to be recognised.

Posted: 13 December 2003 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2003-12-10
To "No body"
I think your comments are extremely rude,unkind and thoughtless. Annette Jerram does an awful lot for this village already, works extremely hard and is given little thanks for it. If you were to have taken the trouble to ask her, she was asked to go to London with Jane Palmer and knew nothing about the award until it was announced Aldbourne had won it.
Maybe you are ignorant in that you don't know this caring lady? Only last night she was in the memorial hall at the annual christmas bingo fundraising evening organising and serving refreshments. I could give you a list as long as I don't know what telling of her good deeds. She gives up more of her free time to other people than she has left for herself so I suggest you take a leaf from her book and appologise.

As for anyone else who has concerns as to why these ladies went along, what does it matter? They brought it home for all to see. Can I suggest someone organises an unveiling of the certificate? Then everyone can share the glory and everyone can be happy. If it is a free lunch that is the concern, I'm happy to prepare some sandwiches.

1 of 2

‹‹ Parking      Distraction Burglaries ››